Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I feel disorganized and sloppy.

It's hard to be structured at this school because everything changes so quickly, and I don't know all of the rules yet.

I am frustrated with lesson planning because I want to do class activities but so many students are absent or show up late. I just finished my unit. 32% of my students were absent on any given day and 45% were either absent or tardy. How do I teach the whole class, and figure out a way to catch up 1/3 of the class from the day before when they were absent, and catch up the 2 or 3 kids who come in 15, 20, or 30 minutes late every day, and all without giving homework? This school screams project-based education. Out of 13 students in my period 5 class, 2 completed the final project. Two students are passing my period 1 class right now. Traditional instruction, or UMF instruction, doesn't suit this school.

No comments:

Post a Comment