We're almost half way through. That is a little scary.
I only have 2 students passing my period 1 class.
This has been a stressful week.
You know, teachers work with a lot of paper, and when you work with a lot of paper, you get a lot of paper cuts. I have about 3 right now.
Today in class, the students were all working on their final projects. They were being quiet. They were all listening to music through their headphones. They were all on their laptops. It was strange. I didn't know what to do. None of them needed help or had questions. I felt really guilt for not doing anything.
Mr. Barlow thinks he knows what kind of teach I am, but he doesn't.
Sometimes, when I'm stressed out or just eh, I write short sentences that have not much to do with one another.
I think to be a teacher, you must have to be sort of a homebody. You get a job at a school and just stay there for 10 or 20 years. I would like that. I don't enjoy change.
I am in the process of getting my TWS organized. Well, started and organized. I know that I will need to fill in a lot of pieces.
If someone told me what to teach, I would be able to teach it better then making up my own units. But, I find units online and I don't like them.
I was initially really excited for technology class, but it is turning out to be pretty boring. We are making websites, but not as a class because that would be nearly impossible considering the attendance issues.
What I don't get about this school is why, if you know many of these students are here because they haven't been responsible enough to get to class in public schools, that you're going to give them even more freedom here and expect them to rise to the occasion. Sink or swim. Some of them care. But most of them don't. They'll get Ds and be happy.
Their projects should be done by next Tuesday. I have to keep going even if they aren't done. Students here don't get too much feedback on work because the quality of the work isn't too important. It's important that the work gets done though. If you are working all period, you will get an A. The teachers would all need to highly individualize their classwork for this school to really be meeting students academic needs. That kind of differentiation, the kind I should technically be doing, takes away from any kind of group work or all-class work that might be done. It would turn into individual quiet work for every student.
The Independent Study program here at the school is based off of packets. Packets of work for each subject. How do students learn from packets?
Some students do their work really fast just to get it done. I want to shake them and say "Seriously!? You have 45 minutes to do this. Just think about it. Think about the information I'm giving you. You don't need to copy it or define it. I just want you to think about it. Isn't it weird? Isn't it strange and neat and annoying? Don't you just think that's fascinating?"
I don't think that you can teach students to love learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment